Many clients I work with are completely ignorant about technology driven publishing online with Createspace. It is a bit involved, but not at all difficult to get done. I can help you.
How Does Createspace Work?
Content Provided By Guest Blogger Dennis Harrison
A word about security
Createspace is owned by Amazon, a multi-billion dollar company, so you can rest assured that any information you provide on their website will be as secure as they can possibly make it. While it is true that some large companies (Target) have been hacked and people’s personal information leaked, it is equally true that this does not happen often. So you feel safe with this company.
It is a fact that the vast majority of aspiring authors will never get a publishing company to publish their work. It is a huge lottery. The good news is that with Createspace you can get your book printed and published easily.
Createspace stores your book on their servers and when someone orders your book they print it and ship it to the customer directly. Once you have book sales, Createspace will send you your portion of the proceeds or royalties. Both parties win in this type of arrangement.
Createspace will issue your book a special ISBN number.
There are a few housekeeping items you need to have addressed before you start the Createspace process.
- You need to make sure your book is as close to 100% free of mistakes, grammar errors, and typos as it can possibly be. This means that you should have your book professionally edited. Further, you must be open to adjustments and criticism that will improve your work.
- You need to ensure that your book cover ready (more on this below)
- If you have illustrations, graphics or special artwork you need to have it all saved in one spot and labeled well in an organized and logical manner. (more about this below)
- You need to have information such as the Title, Subtitle, Contributors, Series Title, Edition Number, Language, and Publication Date ready to be entered on the Createspace form.
These are the steps you need to take.
- Create an account with Createspace
- Fill out tax forms so you can get paid.
- Fill in the necessary information on the book
- Decide on the type and color paper for the interior
- Upload your interior
- Decide on the type of cover options you want
- Upload your cover
- Decide upon a price (Createspace offers suggestions)
Now all you have to do is to wait for the Createspace team to review the book for print quality. They will notify you as to any problems that need attention. After you review and correct problems, they will send you a proof so you can review a hardcopy.
About the Interior of Your Book
The easiest and most failsafe method of submitting a great interior is to download and use a pre-formatted Microsoft template. This process can be a little intimidating and a bit involved, but if you take it slowly and methodically you should not have a problem setting up the template.
I can help you with this process as well as cover design. Email me at email@example.com with questions or to hire me.
About Your Cover Design, Illustrations, Artwork, or Graphics
If you want to have the best print quality, your cover, and other graphical items need to be the highest quality possible. This means very large files and image sizes. Createspace has professional cover design service for $400.00, but I can help you for a fraction of that cost. You have to pay attention to the spine size when you create your cover. Createspace has a tool that helps your designer with this. I can take care of it for you if you need a designer.
However, if you know how to use graphic creation programs and want to design your own cover Createspace offers a template. You will need a design program such as Adobe Illustrator. (I personally like Adobe Fireworks) Createspace will give you a template that shows the dimensions of the spine and bleed of the cover document. Gimp is a totally free and may work for graphics.
You may have to have special artwork created for your book (artsy type stuff). For that you will need an artist. However, if you need graphics or illustrations that can be produced by computer, I can help you as well at a fraction of the price a graphic artist would charge you.
Just make sure you have the highest quality images possible.
MS WORD AND IMAGES – Word automatically downsizes images and this is very bad if you are producing a book. When inserting images into your formatted book, there is a setting to change under Options > Advanced > choose Do not compress images and 221dpi. Also, if you insert an image into a text box you will be more able to move it around more freely.
For more info or to hire me email me at firstname.lastname@example.org